Winter causes some unique challenges for skin, as the cold weather dries the air stripping it of moisture. Low humidity can leave your skin thirsty, parched and dry.
Luckily, nature has some proven remedies to help replenish that much needed suppleness. Combined with winter skin best practices, you'll put back what winter tries to take away!
5 Tips to Help Dry Winter Skin
1. Limit Hot Showers: Hot water strips the skin of its natural oils, drying it out even more. Skip the hot shower, opt for warm water instead, and apply a good, hydrating moisturizer immediately following.
2. Know What You Are Putting On Your Skin: Many moisturizes contain alcohols and petroleum which, are not only harmful for your health, but also further drying. Go for good old-fashioned oil-based products made with coconut, almond, jojoba or avocado oil. Use a safer beauty brand, such as Beautycounter, that has created its own Never List of ingredients. Here is a moisturizer I highly recommend.
3. Use a Humidifier: Help to put moisture back in the air where winter weather has taken it away. This will help prevent your skin from drying out will keep your sinuses clear too!
4. Don't Forget to Exfoliate: Exfoliation works because it lifts dead skin cells, allowing your moisturizer to penetrate the new, fresh skin. Exfoliate all over your body where needed, concentrating on rough elbows and heels. Use a gentler exfoliator for face. You can purchase a high quality brown sugar scrub or make your own.
5. Drink Plenty of Water: Staying hydrated at any time of the year is important for your health, but in the winter it also helps to combat dry skin. Warm water with lemon will keep you toasty while providing your body with cleansing properties. Use fresh lemons or even a high quality lemon essential oil will work.
Janelle is a Certified Health Coach and Wellness Advocate
committed to providing you with fact-based, health + wellness
information so you can make smarter decisions.
Be informed, be empowered, be nourished.